The Economist's Cookbook

Recipes For A More Free Society

  • "The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they know about what they imagine they can design."

    - F.A. Hayek

Musing

Posted by The_Chef On 1:53 PM 1 comments

I don't think that there is really a topic to this one. I'm just kinda sitting here with a mug of hot chocolate in my hand and thinking.

I don't understand how modern people can see the need to be shepherded along through their life. I see it all the time and not just in news articles and rants about the nature of the nanny state, but rather, in my everyday life and there is it profoundly disturbing and troubling.

How can a person believe that they have to be constantly sheltered and cared for? That seems to me to be fundamentally flawed in its view of life and the nature of rights.

No, don't fear, I'm not going to go on about rights theory.

I think what bothers me is that the opinion, for that's all it is, that they should be cared for and sheltered comes at the expense of other people. Those expenses are monetary in nature but they also affect us that do not want to be sheltered and coddled. Public policy is inherently a blanket effect. So when a law is passed because someone wants the 'protection' it inherently affects everyone, whether they want it or not.

Thus is liberty chipped away by the sheer laziness of people to take care of themselves.

Categories:

1 Response for the "Musing"

  1. Nik says:

    I couldn't agree more. Especially when it comes to drug money - I mean welfare.