The Economist's Cookbook

Recipes For A More Free Society

  • "The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they know about what they imagine they can design."

    - F.A. Hayek

What is my Generation Fighting For?

Posted by The_Chef On 10:52 PM 1 comments

Justin over at Intellectual Chaos in his post about the movie Amazing Grace notes that he is unable to find a driving idea or creed of my generation. I suppose for reference I should state that my generation is roughly 18-25.

I don't want to be remembered as the generation which crusaded against Global Warming or followed Bono to Africa to do AIDS work.

So I suppose the question is what do I want us to be known for? I suppose the simple answer is freedom. Yes this of course sounds cheesy and cliche. I want this to be a new generation of thinkers pondering and writing on things like Rights theory, the nature of government, the definition of good government. I want to see young people rise up and whether with their vote or their wallet say "We have had enough of bureaucrats telling us how to live our lives."

Perhaps we are the generation to destroy the entitlement society...

I don't want some Utopian Randian Revolution or libertarian orgy, I just want to be left alone by desk jockeys in Washington.

What do you see for your generation?

Categories:

1 Response for the "What is my Generation Fighting For?"

  1. Anonymous says:

    I don't know that it's possible for a *generation* of people to accomplish anything. The zeitgeist of the times determines which causes rise to the forefront of the national consciousness, and then individuals--belonging to various age groups--crusade for those causes. Sometimes good things result from their efforts. *shrugs*