The Economist's Cookbook

Recipes For A More Free Society

  • "The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they know about what they imagine they can design."

    - F.A. Hayek

Is this country worth saving?

Posted by The_Chef On 2:56 PM 4 comments

I know that some of the more radical Anarcho-Capitalists will say that no state or coercive entity is worth saving. So while I'm sure that Kent and I will disagree about this specifically, I'm speaking more in a hypothetical manner. If we have to live in a statist society ...

Is this society even worth fighting for anymore?

Some will say yes, the voting box still holds it's potency, I disagree. I think that the entire thing has become an exercise in bureaucratic backscratching and making promises with other people's money.

Some others will say YES, and we'll fight for it if we have to. Will you win? I'm not sure. I truly don't know if another American Revolution could succeed.

If none of these are acceptable or feasible, where do we then go?

Categories: , , ,

4 Response for the "Is this country worth saving?"

  1. Jay21 says:

    "civil" war. Seperation of the states and territories. There are some pretty clear lines with the exception of Kali. Spilit and the southwest better take the founding documents of the former USA seriously.

    Just my $.02

  2. VH says:

    The cold hard truth is that democracy really doesn't work and the Constitution doesn't mean anything to far removed generations. Rothbard was right. As long as the State exists, our rights are in peril.

  3. Schism says:

    Have you analysed this in the light of Pournelle's Iron Law?

    "...in any bureaucratic organization there will be two kinds of people: those who work to further the actual goals of the organization, and those who work for the organization itself. Examples in education would be teachers who work and sacrifice to teach children, vs. union representative who work to protect any teacher including the most incompetent. The Iron Law states that in all cases, the second type of person will always gain control of the organization, and will always write the rules under which the organization functions.

    I believe that Pournelle has found no single bureaucratic organization that ever managed to reverse the effects of the Iron Law. Once it takes hold, the only solution is to burn it down and rebuild from the ground up.

  4. I guess it depends on what you mean by "country". I like America because this is where I live, where most of my friends are, and it is familiar. I like the natural beauty to be found here. However, the US government has nothing to contribute in any of these areas and is not worth saving. Besides, you can't save a drowning man who doesn't want to be saved (and thinks he is just fine). You just risk dying in the futile attempt.