The Economist's Cookbook

Recipes For A More Free Society

  • "The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they know about what they imagine they can design."

    - F.A. Hayek

The Power of Individuals

Posted by The_Chef On 10:01 PM 0 comments

Right so I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the group Anonymous on the internet. This group of ... well mostly geeks usually hangs out on image based posting sites like 4chan. However, when they get together, they are a force to be reckoned with.
I bring this up because they have recently (recently being in the last 5 months) declared war on The Church of Scientology. This started after a video internal to the organization of an Interview with Tom Cruise. Well Anonymous decided enough was enough ... and now they have been protesting outside of the churches all over the world. A simple organization of geeks has snowballed into an amazing movement.

I think the thing I find most interesting is that this organization has no defined leadership. This is purely voluntary, individual association. And they are winning, slowly, but they are winning. Despite the PR campaign waged by The Church of Scientology against them, calling them all a bunch of bigoted terrorists, they are bringing attention to the 'Church'. Individuals matter! They have power and when they organize against something, they become impossible to ignore.

Now, for the record I am not, nor have I ever been involved with Anonymous. I'm just a humble blogger. Of course I expect Scientologists to now show up at my house, take pictures, interrogate my neighbors, call in their Private Investigators, etc. That's okay ... Virginia has a 'castle law', I'll just shoot them if they show up on my property and won't leave when asked.

So go get 'em Anonymous. You are Legion. Me? I'm just a crazy Libertarian with a cookbook.

Here is the Video message from Anonymous:

Categories:

0 Response for the "The Power of Individuals"